Logo Learn German Easily

Learn German Easily

Created by Lucas Kern

Learn German Easily

Created by Lucas Kern

Here is the 5th part of the email course:

To grasp the full concept of the course, carefully read to the end of these pages.  

>>> If you want to repeat the previous rules ...

… click the links: 

Rule No. 1 
>>> Always Study Phrases, Never Only Individual Words 

Rule No 2 
>>> Don’t Study Grammar Rules 

Rule No. 3 
>>> Listen, Listen, Listen 

Rule No. 4 
>>> Deep learning with repetition 

Rule No. 5

Learn with (translated) Audio Stories

Learn With (translated) Audio Stories 

Today I want to share with you Rule No. 5. This is my favorite rule because by using it your learning speed will not only increase but it is also a great way to internalize grammar easily. I must confess that if you follow Rule No. 5 you won’t be able to explain grammar rules but you will develop a natural feeling for the correct grammar and you will be able to use correct grammar when you speak.

It is a step by step process. You cannot develop this feeling overnight but if you practice regularly it is the fastest way to fluency.

Do you remember Rule No. 2   

In Rule No. 2 I told you not to focus too much on grammar. I told you that not because grammar is not important but because the German rules are difficult to understand and sometimes illogical and if you focus too much on grammar then your learning progress would slow down rapidly.

Yes, we need grammar – the question is how can we study grammar without getting depressed and demotivated?

Do you have grammar books in your bookshelf?  

I guess you have already tried to work with grammar books a lot, right?

And did it work?

What is your experience?

Are you able to work your way through chapter by chapter and understand every grammar rule?

Are you able to use the grammar rules when you speak?

If you say “Yes, I do – grammar is not a problem – it is easy”, well then you can really count yourself lucky because learning German should be a piece of cake for you.

On the other hand if you feel like most students then maybe it is time to rethink and modify your learning approach.

When I started teaching I was like any other teacher.   

I thought that the first and most important thing that students should learn is grammar. My students spent most of the time with grammar exercises. Well, they didn’t like it much but everybody thought: “Well, it is just the way it is”.

A little story:

I would like to tell you a little story that totally changed my view of teaching. One day I was asked to stand in for a colleague who got sick and when I asked her what exercises I should do with her students she gave me a story and a CD.

She told me that all students had already read and listened to the story many times and that they understood all words and phrases in this audio story.

The story had about 800 words and was full of phrases. I was really impressed. I asked her for how long the students had worked with this story and she told me about two weeks. I couldn’t believe that at first because with my “vocabulary list approach” my students would have needed five times that long for so many new words and phrases.

Then she explained her approach to me. At first the students get an audio story that they read together. They translate all new words and write them down. Then they listen to the audio story while they are reading it. They do this a couple of days in a row and through repetition the story gets more and more familiar.

In this phase the students learn many things at the same time:

  • the meaning of new words
  • the pronunciation of the new words
  • they also learn whole phrases
  • and even the structure and grammar up to a certain point 

Here is an example:

When you read the two sentences

  • “Ich liebe dich” and
  • “Wir lieben dich”

… over and over, your brain starts to realize subconsciously the little different word endings in the verb: lieben.

If we use it with the personal pronoun: ich then it is: liebe and if we use wir then it is lieben.

Of course you can learn these little grammatical changes by heart but you could save a lot of time and just learn with audio stories instead. After a few weeks (months) your brain will have developed a natural feeling for this kind of grammar which is much more effective.

Back to the story   

I ask her what I should do with the class. She told me that now after they have finished the first phase it is time for the second phase. Now it is time to ask questions about the story. However the structure of the question should be in a very specific way.

In one of the upcoming rules …   

… I will get deeper into this subject and why it is so powerful to use this “Question and Answer Technique” but this much can be revealed now:

From then on I used a lot of „Audio Stories“ in my classes. I already translated them for the students to save time and I prepared many question and answeres.

My students loved the new approach. Not only because it was a lot of fun but also because their progress increased immensely and what I never thought possible before is that they developed a natural feeling for the correct grammar and after a couple of months they spoke German fluently (not perfectly but fluently). 

The words just came out of their months without realizing it. This was an amazing feeling not only for the students but also for me and it made me very proud.

Before they practiced with “Listen and Answers Stories” they were always scared to talk in front of the class. Always afraid to make mistakes. That totally changed. Now it was hard to stop them from babbling. 🙂

From then on I created more translated „Listen and Answer Stories“ and many „Vocabulary Lessons“ (you already got one with the email course). I made them for everybody available in my online story and since then thousands of students used them to learn to speak German fluently with fun.

And that’s why my recommendation and my Rule No. 5 is:

Learn with (translated) Audio Stories (even better with Listen and Answer Stories)

If you also want to learn to speak German fluently then in my experience learning with translated „Listen and Answer Stories“ is the fastest way. 

You have all you need to make fast progress even as a beginner

You have:

  • The English translation (for understanding) 
  • The recorded speaker (for pronunciation)  
  • The written words (for spelling)
  • The question and answer parts for active participation (to save the information in your brain).

But enough talk for today.
Now it’s your turn. 🙂

I want to give you access to one of my audio stories (online version) that I also used in my classes.

By the way, with the full version of this story my students learned easily how the verb endings change in the different tenses (there is a preview of the Q&A in different tenses below the story).

Now check out and listen to my translated audio story 🙂

>>> Blond oder braunhaarig

Keep it up – you can do it!

Lucas - Learn German Easily

Download my TPRS Audio Stories (GER/ENG)

More than 10,000 happy customers.

Created by Lucas Kern

Use this menu to find more lessons

Lesson 16-30
More ...

Learning Tip
Voc Learning Tips

Contest
Language Lovers

Contact me
Drop me a line

Load Mp3/PDF files 
onto mobile devices

Link to me 
Help this project

Online Store  
TPRS GER/ENG

Become a Fan

Already more than 250,000 fans!

Become a Follower

Already more than 45,000 followers!

OOO

  Learn How To Master German